Click here to buy copies and use code ALGBE10 for a 10% discount.
70 per cent of the planet is covered by water, and 90 per cent of global economic trade is transported by sea. The world’s seas and oceans are big business. The ocean can be considered the world’s 7th largest economy. The global value of the Blue Economy is predicted to be $3 trillion by 2030.
Technology and the Blue Economy explores how innovators can develop the right business models to capitalise on growth opportunities, and analyses the critical success factors for emerging technologies.
Grounded in our detailed research, and brought to life through over 250 meticulously researched case studies, Technology and the Blue Economy presents a compelling overview of an inspiring and innovative sector that includes offshore renewable energy, ports and harbours, shipping, maritime surveillance, cyber security, aquaculture and ocean conservation. We tackle questions like:
· Can machine learning capabilities develop at pace to make sense of all the new ocean information provided by the rapid increase in Earth observation satellites?
· How can ships protect themselves when one shipping firm alone records 50,000 daily attempts to breach its cyber security systems?
· With floating wind farms now pushing further out to sea to convert natural energy, what role do robots have in managing essential maintenance in these more remote environments?
· When passenger ferries are already sailing themselves and self-docking in port without human intervention, are we entering an age where human error is eradicated?
· With fish farming predicted to account for 62 per cent of all the seafood consumed globally by 2030, how can 3D imaging cameras and net-cleaning robots help to stop mass deaths of fish that can run into millions in a single incident?
· In the age of smartphone ubiquity, how important a role might social media and citizen science play in ocean conservation?
· With luxury cruise ships now marketing themselves as ‘smart, connected cities’, crunching passenger data in real-time, do they now provide the gold standard of customer experience within the tourist industry?
· Is optical scanning technology the solution to countering slavery at sea?
· Can the fight against ocean plastics be won with satellite-enabled tracking and autonomous clean-up systems?
Click here to purchase a copy and use code ALGBE10 for a 10% discount.